Monday, January 31, 2011

Still Life by Louise Penny

book jacketRecommendation from Valerie Osborne, Consultant
Northeastern Maine Library District:
I  suspect that one of the reasons I have enjoyed the Inspector Gamache mysteries by Louise Penny is because the setting is so close to our own in Maine.  My parents were both Franco-Americans.  I see parts of my own clan in some of the characters.  It is this richness of the character development, the proximity to our own border, and a finely constructed plot that keeps me reading each book in the series.  If you are looking for a fast paced read, you won’t find it here.  If you are looking to immerse yourself in the life of a village, with characters you will either love or hate, this might be just what you are looking for!

Request Still Life from the Bangor Public Library

2 comments:

  1. I too love the Louise Penney books. Her characters are unique and marvelous. Perfect escapism with a nice touch of Quebec history thrown in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a description in this book that I loved-- "The only reason why people lock their doors is to stop neighbors from dropping off extra zucchini in the fall."

    ReplyDelete