Thursday, March 17, 2011

Share your favorite non-fiction!


Have you read a non-fiction novel that you enjoyed?  It can be a recent publication, or older, it does not matter, just something you enjoyed reading for one reason or another.  Post a comment with title or author, and we will add their covers below with a link to our catalog. 

Here are some non-fiction books that I have recently enjoyed.
Perfection:  a memoir of betrayal and renewal  by Julie Metz
This is a story of a perfect marriage that wasn't however, the author only finds this out after her husband’s premature death.  Metz works through her pain and loss by tracking her dead husband’s mistresses----we all grieve differently.
Somewhere Towards the End by Diana Athill
This book is written by a 90 year old british editor.  She deals with tough realities in a very positive way.  She is probably a better writer than the authors she edited. I enjoyed her so much I read another book by her Stet:  an editor’s life.  Another good read.
Just Kids by Patti Smith
Patti writes about her relationship with the late artist Robert Mapplethorpe.  Her writing is very readable and she paints a compelling picture of New York City in the 1960’s and 1970’s.
Slow Love:  How I lost my job, put on my pajamas & found happiness by Dominque Browning. 
Ms. Browning is an ex editor of House and Garden this book is interesting and in contrast to another book I had read written by her when she was happily married Around the House and in the Garden. 
We are happy to post suggestions anyone might have for good non-fiction reads-----
~Maggie
: :  Request each book from the Bangor Public Library by clicking on the cover  : :


book jacket book jacket book jacket book jacket

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite non-fiction books that our library owns is The French country garden : where the past flourishes in the present by Louisa Jones. I love to check this book out every year during March and April, when the ground is starting to thaw and I'm looking forward to digging in my garden. The old fashioned gardens pictured in this book are the stuff of dreams and romance. It also inspired my own blue arbors.
    ~Jan

    ReplyDelete