Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

book jacket
Patron recommendation:
This book features strong women, each voice is pitch perfect.

Book review:
What perfect timing for this optimistic, uplifting debut novel (and maiden publication of Amy Einhorn's new imprint) set during the nascent civil rights movement in Jackson, Miss., where black women were trusted to raise white children but not to polish the household silver. Eugenia Skeeter Phelan is just home from college in 1962, and, anxious to become a writer, is advised to hone her chops by writing about what disturbs you. The budding social activist begins to collect the stories of the black women on whom the country club sets relies and mistrusts enlisting the help of Aibileen, a maid who's raised 17 children, and Aibileen's best friend Minny, who's found herself unemployed more than a few times after mouthing off to her white employers. The book Skeeter puts together based on their stories is scathing and shocking, bringing pride and hope to the black community, while giving Skeeter the courage to break down her personal boundaries and pursue her dreams. Assured and layered, full of heart and history, this one has bestseller written all over it.
~Starred Review from Publishers Weekly

Note from Jan:
I'm sorry to say that I haven't read this book yet but it's on my list.  This recommendation was given to me by a patron who took the time to write out a note and place it in my box at the library.  For me, that's pretty special, and it tells me that this is a wonderful book.  If you've read it, I would love to hear your comments and reviews, either via email (my email link is in the right column of this blog) or with a comment at the end of this post.

Hope to see you in the library someday soon,
Jan     

Request The Help from the Bangor Public Library

4 comments:

  1. You should put The Help at the top of your reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to add a better description.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, you're right, the description is a little short! :o) I've replaced it with a review above. Thanks for keeping me on my toes.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book was time well spent and a good read----the characters were stereotypes but still enjoyable-----

    ReplyDelete